French Duncan | 22 December 2021
January 2022 update - tourism sector funding announced
Details of a financial package worth up to £9 million for Scotland’s vital tourism sector have been confirmed by Tourism Minister Ivan McKee. Funding will be allocated by Visit Scotland, which you can see full details of below:
Visit Scotland - Supporting the tourism sector
On 21st December the UK and Scottish Governments announced some new support for the hospitality sector, due to the increased restrictions being advised around the Omicron variant.
Below you'll find a brief summary of what our team know so far, regarding who might qualify and what you do (or do not) need to do to apply. We shall endeavor to keep this page updated as we find out more.
Whether clients of French Duncan or not, we hope this helps a little.
December and January Business Support Top Up - Hospitality:
Who is eligible?
- This support is designed for the 'hospitality' sector, which the Scottish Government have defined as businesses registered as one of the following: public houses, restaurants, cafes, other licensed premises classed as hospitality, nightclubs, hotels with bars and restaurants.
- The business must be actively trading, and be able to demonstrate they were on 8 December 2021.
What will you receive?
- The grant is a one-off payment at the rate of:
- £4,500 for premises which have a rateable value of up to and including £51,000, or
- £6,800 for premises have a rateable value of £51,001 or above.
What do I need to do? How to apply?
- For most businesses you shouldn't have to do anything. If your Local Authority already holds enough information about your business to confirm eligibility (i.e. if you've already received COVID support), we understand they will contact the business owner to confirm (although this may not be until January).
- If you did not previously receive support or you are not contacted by your Local Authority, we understand there will be an application process via your Local Authority website which will allow you to apply. This is set to go live in early January.
- For new businesses, or if you are unsure if you will receive this support or not, we advise you to contact your Local Authority directly - and do so well before 31 January 2022 when it is due to close (currently).
Need more information?
- This Scottish Government webpage contains more info.
- Our own ESD team are also happy to speak to any businesses who require further advice - whether you're an existing client or not.