Full details of how we can help you around COVID-19 / Coronavirus is available on our special page (www.frenchduncan.co.uk/covid-19) which you can access by clicking here. We will be keeping all our information updated as things progress and schemes are clarified, so please check back regularly, or follow us on Twitter or LinkedIn to keep informed of all the changes.
Credit Card Refunds during COVID-10 – Some Guidance
Written 11am Thursday 26th March.
In the current climate many businesses will be experiencing high volumes of deposit refund requests. This will not only have a negative impact on cash flow, but could also leave the business at risk of fraud and in breach of Payment Card Industry (PCI) and Anti-Money Laundering requirements. Therefore, it is more important than ever that procedures and processes are adhered to, and robust monitoring and control procedures are in place. Some examples of additional risk which you should be considering carefully are as follows:-
- Credit card refunds being processed onto cards where no original payment was taken
- Employees refunding their own cards to gain access to cash
- Refunds requested by bank transfer when already paid by card and also following charge back process
- Fraudsters claiming funds transferred to bank and demanding refunds to cards
- Theft of credit card details not stored or destroyed correctly for fraudulent use
- Increase in identity theft with the intention of gaining credit/debit card facilities to evade payment for goods/services
- Increased numbers of customers not present transactions resulting in no business protection via Chip & Pin
- Risk of unsafe recording of credit/debit card details outwith normal secure systems e.g. PMS/POS
- Card numbers communicated verbally, written down and not destroyed safely
- Address, CVV verification not adhered to
- Employees who have not previously dealt with payments/refunds now having to process them due to only lock down teams in place not necessarily trained
- Refunds being processed by alternative payment methods to obtain clean funds
- Illegitimate funds introduced into a legitimate financial system e.g. paying funds into a bank account and then requesting a refund
To protect your business it is important that the points below are adhered to where possible:
- Only a select group of trained employees are in a position to refund or process payments
- Refunds are processed to the original payment method only
- All refunds are authorised by Management in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures
- All payment systems have a setting which should be turned on to prevent refunds to cards with no previous debit activity
- Card refunds should only be processed via secure channels where possible
- Any full card details written or communicated should be destroyed immediately after use
- Any bank transfer refunds should be fully verified against the bank and any suspicious activity escalated
If you have any questions or concerns on this please do not hesitate to get in touch any of our team.
Other COVID-19 Information:
For all our help, support and information around COVID-19 / Coronavirus visit www.frenchduncan.co.uk/covid-19, where you can link to articles HMRC deferrals, business loans including Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme (“CBILS”), personal tax & self-assessment, debt assistance & restructuring and much more.