HMRC unveils ten worst tax excuses
19 January 2015
Many late taxpayers lay the blame with someone else – from pets, girlfriends, work colleagues to the President of the United States: “my pet dog ate my tax return...and all the reminders”, “I fell in with the wrong crowd”, and “Barack Obama is in charge of my finances” all made the top ten. Such excuses were used in unsuccessful appeals against HMRC penalties for late filing and payment of taxes.
Here are the remaining top ten excuses:
• I was up a mountain in Wales and couldn’t find a post box or get an internet signal
• I’ve been travelling the world, trying to escape from a foreign intelligence agency
• I’ve been busy looking after a flock of escaped parrots and some fox cubs
• A work colleague borrowed my tax return to photocopy it and didn’t give it back
• I live in a camper van in a supermarket car park
• My girlfriend’s pregnant
• I was in Australia
HMRC’s Director General of Personal Tax, Ruth Owen, warned that taxpayers need to file their 2013/14 tax return online and pay what they owe by 31 January in order to avoid penalties.
Some people really do have a genuine reason for missing a tax return, but none of the above count! Please email us if you need help and advice.